Episode #1: Women's Bodies, Part I
In which Charlotte whips off her t-shirt and Emma struggles to take her shorts off. Or: sport, exercise and street harassment.
· Handball - an introduction to what Emma thinks is the best spectator sport in the world, starring Norway’s Nora Mørk:
· Netball - an introduction starring Giants Netball vs Queensland Firebirds:
· And let’s not forget (field) hockey!
· This Girl Can:
There’s more info about the campaign at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/case-study-this-girl-can-16-million-women-exercising/1394836.
· Kelly Holmes wins the Olympic 800m final in 2004 (and Charlotte cries)
· “And the run on treadmills” - a line from Fiona Wright’s ‘And They Are Angry’ poem, published in Overland 223 (Winter 2016) - https://overland.org.au/previous-issues/issue-223/poem-fiona-wright-2/
· Charlotte was reading - and recommending - Respectable by Lynsey Hanley (London: Penguin, 2017)
· Emma was reluctantly reading the 176-page long Margaret Thatcher: A Life and Legacy by David Cannadine (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017).
NEXT EPISODE: WOMEN’S BODIES, PART II
We’ll be talking about women in politics, Hillary Clinton’s pantsuits, who gets away with dressing inappropriately, and how selfies can be feminist. Sign up to our newsletter to get the episode footnotes in your inbox, and subscribe here to make sure you're the first to know when Ep #2 is available!
COMMENTS, THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS, SELF-PROMOTION? WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!