Episode #6: Mad Men & Winning Women
MAD MEN AND WINNING WOMEN: the Christmas special in which we talk about tap-dancing in the office, channel our inner Roger Stirling and fight over who’s the most Peggy. Plus: our favourite episodes and a Mad Men poem.
- Here's Peggy walking into McCann-Erickson:
- And Megan singing Zou Bisou Bisou *shudders*:
- Dr Mona Rautelin’s article on ‘Cryptic Pregnancies and their Legal Consequences in Pre-Modern Finland’ was published in Social History of Medicine Vol. 28, No. 4 (2015), pp. 663-685. Read it here;
- Here's Don’s visit to Peggy in hospital:
- We were going to make a list of Stan <3 Peggy GIFs, but Buzzfeed beat us to it: www.buzzfeed.com/juliapugachevsky/times-peggy-and-stan-were-the-best-part-of-mad-men;
- Margaret Lyons wrote about Joan and Peggy's relationship for The Vulture in 2013: ‘Tracing the Troubled History of Peggy and Joan’. Follow Margaret on Twitter @margeincharge. Here are a few of our favourite scenes:
They've certainly come a long way from season 1, episode 1...
- Here's James Poniewozik on the problem of set dressing the past and audiences’ resistance to new things - from ‘The Time Machine: How Mad Men Rode the Carousel of the Past Into Television’ published by Time (that last line though... *pukes like Roger Stirling*):
- Here’s a story from The Washington Post on what might happen to Mad Men characters on Twitter after the final episode;
- Oh, the brilliant world of Mad Men GIFs:
- You can see the 'Dazzle Me' GIF on our subscription page (make sure to subscribe to something while you're there; we recommend the newsletter, obviously) - but we couldn't resist sharing the whole scene with you:
- We Took The Very Scientific ‘Which Mad Men Character Are You?’ Test, And You Should, Too. Please report back who you are: we're all ears @TNKpod and email@example.com;
- Roger Stirling pukes; Don Draper pukes. Vulture asks: who barfed better?
- Emma recommends The Crash (season 6; episode 8), which was dissected by Paul MacInnes for The Guardian here. It stars a tap-dancing Ken Cosgrove.
- Charlotte recommends The Suitcase (season 4; episode 7), which Logan Hill recapped for The Vulture here. She also mentions the scene from Tomorrowland from the same season (episode 13), where Joan and Peggy discuss Don’s engagement to Megan.
…is ‘The Times’ by Leah Umansky, from Don Dreams & I Dream. Follow Leah on Twitter @lady_bronte.
…will be the second part of our Women & Health special (listen to part I here). We’re discussing hormones, periods, Beyoncé and much more. Sign up to our newsletter to get the episode footnotes in your inbox, and subscribe here to make sure that you're the first to know when Ep #7 is available!
COMMENTS, THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS, SELF-PROMOTION? WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!